A little history…
The building of 45 Fitzroy Street
Built circa 1790, 45 Fitzroy Street stands on the corner with Warren Street in Fitzrovia in central London. The street, along with Fitzroy Square, was named after the Fitzroy family.
Charles Fitzroy – Statesman & Soldier
Charles Fitzroy, the grandson of the 2nd Duke of Grafton, developed the area that became known as Fitzrovia during the late 18th and early 19th Century. Born on 25 June 1737, he joined the 1st Regiment of Foot Guards and fought at the battles of Minden and Kirchdenkern during the Seven Years War.
After rising to the ranks of Captain and Lieutenant Colonel, Fitzroy became a Whig and later a Tory Member of Parliament. From the year 1768 to 1780 he was Queen Charlotte’s Vice- Chamberlain.
45 Fitzroy Street was known as 10 Upper Fitzroy Street until the year 1869.